Elm Park School Newsletter - 3rd August 2012 - Term 3 - Week 3


Friday 3rd August 2012 – Term 3 - Week 3

Value Focus for next week: Initiative / Perseverance

From The Principal

Kia ora tatou katoa, Talofa, Malo e lelei, Bula vi naka, Kia orana Nga mihi nui ki a koutou, Namaste, Nihao, Greetings to you all.

Kia ora koutou katoa.  This week some of our students performed at the HPPA Dance Festival held at Elim Christian College over two evenings. They were very enthusiastic and we are very proud of them. A big “Nga mihi nui” to Mrs Rist for all her efforts and to the staff who helped out over the two nights with makeup etc. We really appreciate all the extra support to allow our students to participate with energy and pizazz!  Tau ke (awesome).

This weekend we will be welcoming Korean Students from Shinan County in South Korea, who will be with us for 3 weeks learning English. This is a wonderful opportunity for our students as well, to learn about Korean culture, language and food. We look forward to sharing our culture with them too.

Our new winter jacket has arrived at last and looks very smart. It has been very popular and it will certainly help to keep out the winter chills.


See Sheree Houghton at the uniform shop to purchase one.
Hours are 8.15 am - 9.00 am and 2.30 pm -3.00 pm daily.

Kia tupato (take care).  Have a lovely weekend.
Trish Plowright
Principal




How You Can Help Your School

MacCain’s School Veggie Patch Programme is still running in schools. Collect the barcodes from your frozen veggie packs and drop them in to the box outside Mrs Plowright’s office.   Would you like to see Elm Park students planting their own veggie seeds and learning about healthy eating at the same time?
Help us: barcodes=points= equipment and advice

PAPER 4 TREES UPDATE - As a result of increased paper collection from our Community we have another bin and that means more trees for us!  Please continue to keep putting the following in our green Paper 4 Trees bins which are situated by the Hall:  any recyclable paper which you normally generate at home such as empty cardboard boxes, newspapers, junk mail & flyers, egg cartons, cereal boxes, magazines, writing paper can be put into theses bins.  However paper cannot be contaminated with anything which has blood, excessive amounts of food residue (such as empty pizza boxes with food stuck to them) and of course hand towels and tissues.  These are not OK for us to recycle and need to go into your rubbish bins at home. Thank you for your support!



Looking Ahead

ROAD PATROL HELPERS URGENTLY NEEDED!  - If you can please help us for 15 minutes at 3 o'clock to make sure our children get across Gossamer Drive safely, please talk to the office ladies or see Mrs Holdom in Room 26.  We need 3 volunteers ASAP - thank you!



ELM PARK SCHOOL WALKING BUS - We are excited to announce that Elm Park School’s first WALKING SCHOOL BUS will be starting on Monday 23 July.  An Elm Park Parent will be wearing a bright orange vest and will be waiting for you at the shops on the corner of Reeves Road and Gossamer Drive.  The bus will begin walking to school at 8.25 am.  Please join her and the rest of the group for a fun, safe and healthy way to start your day.  If any other parents would like to start up another walking school bus please see Karen Allen.  Let’s work together to keep our children safe.


This Week in Review

HOWICK / PAKURANGA DANCE FESTIVAL - On Monday and Tuesday night this week, a group of talented dancers performed at the Dance Festival held at Elim College. 14 different schools showed us their best moves. Our groups performed Goodnight and Amazing Tron. It was very exciting to perform in front of nearly 800 people each night. A big thank you to Mrs Rist for organizing the dancers and our fabulous costumes. Also a big thank you to our friends and family for supporting us.





Key Events For Your Diary
Fri 3 Aug........  Whole School Assembly
Mon 13 Aug...   Maths Week
Fri 17 Aug......   Whole School Assembly
....................... Principal’s Morning Tea
Tue 28 Aug....   Zone Speech Final
Fri 31 Aug......   Whole School Assembly
Fri 14 Sept.....   Whole School Assembly
Thur 27 Sept..   Principal’s Awards Assembly
Fri 28 Sept.....   Term 3 Ends
Mon 15 Oct....   Term 4 Commences
Mon 22 Oct....   Labour Day – SCHOOL CLOSED
Fri 2 Nov.........  Whole School Assembly
Wed 7 Nov......  Student Led Conferences Y1-3 3.30 pm
Thur 8 Nov.....   Student Led Conferences Y4-6 3.30 pm
Fri 16 Nov.......  Whole School Assembly
Fri 23 Nov.......  Principals Morning Tea
Fri 30 Nov ......  Whole School Assembly




Focus on Children

In Room 15 we have been learning how to write a hook at the beginning of our stories, to make our audience really want to read our stories.  These are some of our beginnings.

I woke up in an  amazing mood because I was going to Australia on an aeroplane with my family.
Avalon
I was surprised because there was a big bus outside our house when I came home from school on Friday.
Vacha
“YES!!” I thought as I flipped out of my bed.  I was so excited because I was going to my grandad’s house.
Jamie
Swish, click, snap! I have my raincoat on and I am going into my garden. I am going to collect bugs.
Meherzad
Yay! My dad really booked a ticket for us to go to Dunedin.  “But why are we going?” I asked
“I am not telling.” answered my dad.
Alisha
“Hi, Auntie. You’re back. We missed you so much!”  I said.
Kiri
Grocery shopping again. I went with my mum to Botany to do grocery shopping.
Andrew
Nom, nom, nom. My mouse was eating.  It was surprising that he was eating so much.
Kazu
“Mmmmm, I don’t want to get up.” I mumbled
Anna
“Hurray!” I said. “We’re finally going shopping!”  Mum and Dad grabbed their wallets.
Jennifer
I was stumped!! My dad said that we were going to some place cold, windy and steep.
Michael
“Hooray! Today it is Aiden’s birthday!” I shouted
 Nevada

I  was so excited because we were going to our dad’s work to build metal things.
Hunter
Yahoo! I won a medal.  My team was Poland.
Jordan
YAY! I am so excited because I am going tree planting today.
Leo
Did you know that I was player of the day?
Ben
YEAH! I was so surprised when my dad came home from my grandma’s house with
chips popcorn and another surprise.                                                                                    Sophia


COMMUNITY NOTICES

“A New Idea for Dealing with OCD, ADD, ADHD & Autism class 2nd September in Epsom – This class is run by Diva Diaz who is on the spectrum of all of these and she will share tools she uses to assist herself and others to function in society with more ease.  For more info see www.AccessConsciousness.co.nz/labels or call Michelle 027-270-1948.  Suitable for parents, teachers and people on the spectrums.”

Comments